Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a simple as well as quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however extremely versatile since they can reach such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my suggestions, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza evening much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. Locating that propane container and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and after that once we located one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to move the pizza around and also a excellent distance between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth perfect and keep it moving. I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. But honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have actually been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I really lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He advises using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very thin between. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the means through.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it top and straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or just search for another thing comparable online. However let me conserve you a long time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was likewise quite basic to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear too much while he was placing it with each other and I assume it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dust picks it, however aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I assume that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.