Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick and also very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however incredibly functional given that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tips, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside location might actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening extra exciting!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. Locating that gas storage tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and after that when we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! It was definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. When you connect the gas container, you just transform it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Then lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warm ideal and keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include as well numerous toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical however hopeful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
Something that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust decides on it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not use up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply attach the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I assume that preparing and making food truly can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more work. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s additionally very lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.