Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a very easy and fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but super versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas and likewise desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza evening much more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of places prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could believe! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. When you connect the propane storage tank, you simply turn it approximately high and let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both happily amazed at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be much easier. With that said said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat ideal and maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as topping. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I can NOT have been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very thin between. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it leading and also straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident yet skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we ought to purchase it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, yet often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One point that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt chooses it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You just connect the gas and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. Since I believe that cooking and making food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a trouble, the real prepping as well as cooking to be a little bit taxing, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.