Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but extremely functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, tricks, and also tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might really trigger some happiness for you and make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a propane storage tank, and also then as soon as we discovered one we had to find a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could think! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. When you link the lp storage tank, you simply transform it approximately high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes. After that lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool place which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to move the pizza around and likewise a good distance between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the heat to reduced and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that claimed, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious about the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been quite prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. I could NOT have actually been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it top and straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful yet unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain how delicious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s affordable and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we must purchase it or simply try to locate something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. However let me conserve you a long time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite basic to create – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vow way too much while he was putting it together as well as I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, but aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not occupy too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of protected space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the actual cooking and prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.