Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They use a very easy and also fast way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely flexible because they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly obtained ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, pointers, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night extra exciting!
This is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp tank and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and afterwards when we found one we had to discover a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, however I called a TON of places before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp storage tank. After that lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to use and also how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which offers you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be much easier. Keeping that claimed, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit nervous concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat just right and keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He advises using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare completely via.
- Do not include as well many toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we need to acquire it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that really lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt decides on it, yet other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will help it last much longer. If you do not have any type of covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just attach the lp and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the real preparing and also prepping to be a bit taxing, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise extremely light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.