Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a simple as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet incredibly flexible since they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas and also wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. Finding that lp container as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane storage tank, and then when we found one we needed to locate a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of locations before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp storage tank. Then reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and also I were both pleasantly surprised at how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy spot which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms up until it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim between. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare all the method with.
- Don’t add as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic however unconvinced that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might attempt to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must purchase it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt picks it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t take up excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You just connect the propane and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. Since I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the actual prepping and cooking to be a bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely lightweight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.