Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but extremely flexible given that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, techniques, as well as ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and also desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, but here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane tank, and then once we found one we had to locate a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! It was most definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the gas tank. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both happily shocked at how easy the Ooni is to use and exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the amazing place which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around and also a great distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to low and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. With that said, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warm perfect and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation process. I might NOT have actually been extra wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound round of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the means with.
- Don’t add too lots of toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Yet let me conserve you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute ideal size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty basic to put together – or at least I really did not hear my partner promise excessive while he was putting it together and also I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One thing that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every so often as dust picks it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any protected room to keep it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just link the propane as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.