Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet incredibly flexible since they can get to such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly trigger some delight for you and also make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp tank, as well as then when we located one we had to find a area to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the cool place which gives you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare too rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be easier. Keeping that claimed, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm ideal and also maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I really lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the method through.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it straightforward and top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we should acquire it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt chooses it, but apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last longer. If you do not have any protected space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a bit lengthy, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing process required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.