We Are Ooni
Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a simple and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet extremely functional given that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours simply a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, suggestions, and tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas and likewise desired a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening much more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and after that when we located one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. When you attach the propane tank, you just transform it approximately high and also allow it warm up for 20 minutes. Then lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both happily shocked at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing area which gives you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. Keeping that claimed, our favored cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the heat perfect and keep it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been quite all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. I might NOT have actually been more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He suggests using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely slim between. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way with.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, as well as the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it leading and easy lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful however skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to buy it or just attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
Something that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt picks it, but besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected area to keep it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the lp and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a little storage area to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.