Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill however super flexible considering that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally got ours just a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, methods, and also tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp tank as well as having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we located one we had to discover a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy area which gives you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. With that said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth perfect as well as keep it relocating. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the center. This will certainly give you that signature timber fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook completely through.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So keep it leading as well as straightforward lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we need to acquire it or simply try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust decides on it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the gas and let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I assume that making as well as preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the real prepping and cooking to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly basic, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.