Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet super flexible because they can get to such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly got ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my pointers, thoughts, and techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and requirements you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas and additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really spark some happiness for you and also make pizza evening much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. Tracking down that lp tank and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we had to find a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, however I called a TON of areas before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was most definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you connect the propane tank, you simply turn it approximately high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner and also I were both happily shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing area which gives you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a great distance between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. With that said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right as well as maintain it moving. I was happily surprised to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely thin between. This will give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re searching for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t prepare all the means through.
- Do not include too lots of toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was unconvinced however confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must buy it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust decides on it, yet besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any kind of protected space to keep it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply link the lp and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and preparing to be a little bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing process involved. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage space to maintain it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.