Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick and also easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but extremely versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, methods, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Finding that gas storage tank and having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and afterwards when we found one we had to locate a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 mins once you attach the propane tank. Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly stunned at how very easy the Ooni is to use and exactly how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great place which gives you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the heat to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be easier. With that said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect as well as maintain it moving. However, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to master it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it simple as well as leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was doubtful however confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. Let me save you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise quite easy to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner promise too much while he was placing it together and also I think it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a great deal of work to get the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just link the lp and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I think that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.