Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however very flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours simply a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, techniques, and suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas and additionally desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly trigger some joy for you and make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and afterwards as soon as we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of places prior to I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins.
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great spot which provides you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. With that said claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat just right and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I truly lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely slim in the middle. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare right with.
- Do not include as well lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s affordable as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we must buy it or just try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me conserve you time and also energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was additionally rather basic to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, but besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. If you do not have any protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I believe that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.