Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and also simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet incredibly flexible because they can get to such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, pointers, and tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location may truly spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp tank, as well as then when we located one we had to find a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may assume! It was most definitely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes once you link the propane tank. Then reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both happily amazed at just how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to low and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be easier. With that said stated, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal and also keep it moving. I was happily stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really thin in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way via.
- Don’t include too several garnishes to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was skeptical however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we must acquire it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One point that really tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt picks it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you do not have any protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just link the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I believe that making and cooking food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real prepping and also preparing to be a little bit lengthy, and I wasn’t sure what the cleaning procedure required. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
It’s also very lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.