Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast as well as very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill but incredibly versatile because they can get to such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my methods, ideas, as well as tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly trigger some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. I’m not sure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, as well as then once we located one we had to discover a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might assume! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to low and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. Keeping that said, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also keep it moving. However, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. This will offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced yet confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You get those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to acquire it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels as well. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to disinfect or sterilize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt chooses it, but aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I think that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage area to keep it dry, and enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.