Sourdough Pizza Ooni
Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a quick and also very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet incredibly versatile considering that they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, and techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality cooking device that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas container and also having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we needed to discover a location to get it filled. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel far, however I called a TON of areas prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a great distance between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the heat to reduced as well as cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous concerning the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat perfect as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also covering. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really slim in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare right via.
- Don’t add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So keep it leading and also straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful however unconvinced that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
Something that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, but other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. Because I think that preparing and making food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise really lightweight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.