Sourdough Pizza Dough Recipe Ooni
Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a fast and simple method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet very functional given that they can get to such a heat and also cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, tips, and methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as also wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a durable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane storage tank and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a gas container, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a area to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional hardware shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel much, however I called a TON of places prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which provides you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to move the pizza around and also a great range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that said claimed, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Using the pizza oven is very simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. This will offer you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it simple and also top gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark added added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful however confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as incredibly crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
>> Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that actually tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt decides on it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also extremely light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.