Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a very easy as well as fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet very functional because they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, tricks, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and also desired a larger dimension so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might truly spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank. Tracking down that gas container as well as having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, however I called a TON of areas before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The great part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the amazing area which gives you much more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and reduced it for a little bit longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that claimed, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous about the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal as well as keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose without any issues.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really prevailed since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He advises using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really thin in the center. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook all the way via.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it simple and leading gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s economical and chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should buy it or simply try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One thing that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust chooses it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you do not have any covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply link the gas and also let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s also extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.