Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but very functional given that they can get to such a heat and also cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, suggestions, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might really trigger some delight for you and make pizza night extra interesting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, however below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, as well as then as soon as we located one we had to find a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which gives you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous about the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right as well as keep it relocating. I was happily shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include as well numerous toppings to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was cynical yet confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to remain to explain just how tasty the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just try to find another thing similar online. Allow me conserve you some time and power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty simple to create – or at least I really did not hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it together and I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One thing that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt picks it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just link the lp and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s likewise really light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage room to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.