Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a easy as well as fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but very versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, suggestions, and also techniques – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas as well as also wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may truly spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, quality cooking device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Finding that gas storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas tank, and after that as soon as we found one we had to locate a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. As soon as you attach the gas container, you just transform it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both happily surprised at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the heat perfect and also maintain it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually prevailed since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook all the method through.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it straightforward as well as top lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant yet enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable and chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we should purchase it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online, I had not been certain. Yet let me conserve you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise rather easy to create – or at least I really did not hear my companion vow way too much while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dust chooses it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of covered space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You just connect the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Since I think that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a headache, the real cooking and also prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally really lightweight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.