Roccbox Vs Otoni
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however extremely versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, tips, as well as tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as also wanted a larger size so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. Tracking down that gas container as well as having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a propane container, and afterwards when we located one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel far, but I called a TON of areas before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may believe! It was definitely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 mins as soon as you attach the propane tank. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at how simple the Ooni is to use and also just how fun it is to watch the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which provides you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as covering. However truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been rather ready to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I could NOT have actually been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Maintain it leading and straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful yet skeptical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we ought to acquire it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to create – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise excessive while he was placing it together and also I assume it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One point that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not occupy excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered room to keep it however.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) but I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the propane as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Since I believe that cooking and making food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.