Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy and also fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet incredibly functional considering that they can reach such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally got ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my pointers, ideas, and methods – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to use gas and also wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly stimulate some joy for you and make pizza night more exciting!
This is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to find a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our local equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of locations before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was absolutely easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp storage tank. After that reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly shocked at just how easy the Ooni is to use and how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which offers you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great range in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. With that said stated, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth just right and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally split a one pound round of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely thin in the center. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook completely through.
- Don’t include also many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical yet hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or simply try to find something else comparable online. Yet let me save you time and energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was also pretty basic to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vouch way too much while he was placing it together and I assume it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best offer.
Something that really tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt chooses it, yet besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not take up too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply link the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that cooking and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly simple, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s additionally really light-weight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.