Roccbox Vs Ooni Koda
Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy and also quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet incredibly functional given that they can reach such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas and also wanted a bigger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may actually trigger some joy for you and also make pizza evening much more exciting!
This is a durable, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Locating that gas storage tank as well as having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we discovered one we needed to find a place to get it loaded. Luckily, our local hardware store had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warmth to cooking and also reduced it awhile longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. With that said claimed, our chosen food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous concerning the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat perfect and also maintain it moving. I was happily shocked to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel also. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I actually lucked out. He suggests using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin between. This will offer you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick between it won’t cook completely via.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the even more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top and also basic lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet unconvinced that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to remain to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we must buy it or simply search for another thing similar online. But let me save you time and also power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute best size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite basic to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vouch too much while he was putting it together and I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior once in a while as dust settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the lp and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s additionally really lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little storage room to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.