Roccbox Pizza Oven Vs Ooni Koda
Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but extremely functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours just a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, and also ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas and also desired a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly stimulate some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, and also then when we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the amazing area which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. With that said stated, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried about the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth perfect as well as keep it relocating. However, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I might NOT have actually been much more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound round of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it leading as well as easy lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must buy it or just look for something else comparable online. However let me save you some time and also energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was also quite easy to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vouch way too much while he was putting it with each other and also I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior from time to time as dust picks it, but apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You just link the gas and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I believe that making as well as cooking food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. I was expecting the arrangement to be a headache, the real preparing and prepping to be a little bit taxing, and I had not been sure what the cleaning process entailed. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite simple. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also very lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.