Reviews Ooni Koda 16
Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast and also easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely functional because they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my methods, ideas, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually trigger some delight for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas storage tank, as well as then when we discovered one we had to discover a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was absolutely easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high and also allow it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you attach the propane storage tank. Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly surprised at how simple the Ooni is to use and just how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to reduced as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be much easier. With that said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to get the heat perfect and also keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually begin to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very thin in the middle. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook all the way through.
- Do not include as well lots of toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely shed immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but doubtful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been certain if we must buy it or simply search for another thing comparable online. Yet let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite simple to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner promise too much while he was putting it together and I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective offer.
One thing that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, but apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not use up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last much longer. If you do not have any type of protected space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You just connect the gas and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s likewise really lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.