Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet very versatile because they can get to such a heat and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, pointers, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outside area might truly stimulate some joy for you as well as make pizza evening more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. Locating that lp storage tank and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a lp tank, and after that once we discovered one we needed to locate a place to get it filled. Fortunately, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair mins.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great distance between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. Keeping that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it moving. I was happily surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also covering. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I truly prevailed because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He recommends using your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim in the middle. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook completely with.
- Do not add too numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must acquire it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One thing that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, but other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely achievable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I think that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior space, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.