Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They use a very easy as well as fast way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill but extremely versatile given that they can reach such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and likewise desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior location may really trigger some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane container, and also after that as soon as we found one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said turning the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be easier. With that said said, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I might NOT have been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very slim between. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way through.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top and simple gently. This is not the time to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced but enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can try to continue to describe how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s affordable and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt decides on it, but other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply attach the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience because I believe that making and cooking food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.