Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick and also simple method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but extremely flexible given that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, techniques, and suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location may truly trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Also, this is a well-made, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, as well as then once we located one we had to locate a location to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. When you link the lp storage tank, you just transform it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both happily shocked at exactly how simple the Ooni is to use and also how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the great area which gives you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to low and cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the heat just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist, I actually lucked out. He advises using your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards very slim between. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the way via.
- Don’t include as well numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident but cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or just try to find another thing comparable online. But let me save you a long time and energy. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright excellent dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to put together – or at least I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it together as well as I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One thing that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply link the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I assume that preparing and also making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.