Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however extremely functional because they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to use gas and likewise desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, high quality cooking device that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, and also after that when we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was most definitely easier than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp tank. Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both happily amazed at just how simple the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit anxious concerning the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm ideal and also keep it relocating. I was happily stunned to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will certainly offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise including half of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it straightforward as well as leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful yet doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s economical and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we should get it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels also. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that really attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dirt picks it, yet besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally really lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a little bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.