Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy and quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but incredibly versatile since they can reach such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly got ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, tricks, as well as ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more amazing!
Likewise, this is a reliable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Finding that propane storage tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and afterwards when we found one we needed to locate a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, however I called a TON of locations prior to I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could assume! It was most definitely easier than I expected it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it warm up for 20 mins when you link the gas container. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both happily shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize and also just how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy spot which gives you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to cooking as well as low it for a bit much longer at a lower temp might be simpler. With that said said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious regarding the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect and also maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and also topping. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation process. I can NOT have been more wrong. Using the pizza oven is very simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel also. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim between. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the method via.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute and rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any type of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience since I assume that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely light-weight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.