Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being fairly prominent and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a fast and simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but extremely functional given that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, ideas, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Tracking down that propane tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and afterwards once we found one we needed to find a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of locations before I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome area which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that said claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warm just right as well as keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I might NOT have been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it straightforward and also top gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful yet hesitant that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and incredibly crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can attempt to remain to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. I had not been certain if we should buy it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, yet other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just attach the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I assume that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly simple, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s also extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.