Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a simple as well as quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but very versatile because they can reach such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, tricks, as well as pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs as well as budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas and additionally wanted a larger size so that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might really stimulate some delight for you and make pizza night a lot more interesting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp storage tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and afterwards when we located one we had to find a area to get it filled. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the trendy spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the heat ideal as well as maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking procedure. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the center. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the method with.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it top and also simple gently. This is not the moment to make your signature additional added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and also super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must purchase it or just try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to sanitize or sterilize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dirt decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the propane and let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I think that making and cooking food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a problem, the real prepping and preparing to be a little bit lengthy, and also I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise extremely lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage space to maintain it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.