Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and also fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet extremely versatile since they can get to such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly got ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, thoughts, as well as methods – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza evening a lot more interesting!
This is a durable, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a propane tank, and also after that as soon as we discovered one we had to find a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! It was most definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 minutes when you connect the lp storage tank. After that lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as just how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the cool area which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around and additionally a good range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. But truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking process. I can NOT have been a lot more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is very simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin between. This will offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook completely with.
- Do not add as well many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic but skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to continue to explain exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we must get it or just attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels also. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the within or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy way too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply link the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I believe that cooking and also making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.