Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however extremely functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, methods, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may really stimulate some delight for you and make pizza evening a lot more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to find a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. Once you connect the gas container, you just turn it as much as high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion as well as I were both happily surprised at how very easy the Ooni is to use and just how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the great place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat just right and also maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is very easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re very comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it simple and leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we should acquire it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels too. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One point that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dust decides on it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just attach the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I think that preparing and making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a little bit taxing, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also very lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage space to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.