Ooni Ooni Koda Pizza Oven
Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy as well as fast way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however super flexible since they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to select from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally desired a larger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually spark some delight for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane container and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of areas before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a pair mins.
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which provides you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be easier. Keeping that claimed, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious concerning the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warm just right and keep it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super simple and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim in the middle. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook all the way with.
- Don’t include too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident yet unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to explain exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and also prepares to cook!
>> Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside from time to time as dirt decides on it, yet other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up excessive space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you don’t have any protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just attach the lp and allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I believe that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the actual preparing and prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and I wasn’t sure what the cleansing procedure entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.