Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet super versatile since they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my ideas, techniques, as well as suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night more exciting!
This is a durable, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, as well as after that when we found one we had to locate a area to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome place which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking and reduced it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that said stated, our favored cooking method is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried regarding the understanding contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we excellent the dough shaping as well as topping. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim between. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick between it won’t prepare all the way via.
- Do not add also numerous garnishes to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident however hesitant that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we ought to buy it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. However let me conserve you time and power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was also pretty easy to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner swear way too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One point that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust chooses it, but besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not take up too much space. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I think that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a little storage room to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.