Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick and also simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but super versatile since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my pointers, tricks, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly spark some happiness for you and make pizza night a lot more exciting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. Tracking down that lp storage tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and after that once we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I might even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could believe! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and let it heat up for 20 mins once you connect the lp tank. After that lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly surprised at just how easy the Ooni is to make use of and exactly how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great area which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to cook too quickly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said stated, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the heat perfect as well as keep it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a hard food preparation process. I might NOT have been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. Because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not cook all the means through.
- Do not add too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly burned immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we need to acquire it or just attempt to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright best dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite easy to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vow excessive while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no need to sanitize the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt picks it, however apart from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the gas as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I assume that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more job. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s also really lightweight and also mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.