Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple and also quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but super flexible since they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my suggestions, thoughts, and also tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza evening much more exciting!
This is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Finding that lp container as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and after that when we located one we needed to discover a area to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional hardware shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas prior to I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of space to move the pizza around and also a great range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a little bit longer at a reduced temp could be simpler. With that said said, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as topping. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks since I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a challenging food preparation procedure. I could NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He advises using your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim in the center. This will provide you that trademark timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook right through.
- Do not add too lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was unconvinced but confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to remain to define how delicious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we ought to acquire it or just attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up too much area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I assume that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.