Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a fast and simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super versatile considering that they can get to such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, ideas, and also techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size as well as specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of being able to use gas and likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside area may actually trigger some delight for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
Also, this is a well-crafted, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might think! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome spot which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. With that said, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the middle. This will give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook all the method with.
- Don’t include way too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Maintain it simple and also top lightly. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was cynical but enthusiastic that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and extremely crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. If we must acquire it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Allow me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute ideal dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty easy to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion promise way too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s super practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to sanitize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt decides on it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You just link the propane and allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a truly easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.