Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a easy and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely functional given that they can get to such a heat and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and finally obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, suggestions, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to use gas and additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening much more amazing!
Also, this is a durable, top quality food preparation appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, yet below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a lp container, and then as soon as we found one we had to discover a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which offers you much more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a great distance in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp could be less complicated. With that claimed, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. I was happily surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. This will offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional means to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it straightforward as well as top lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within as well as extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to describe how tasty the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. If we need to acquire it or simply try to locate something else comparable online, I had not been sure. However let me save you time and also energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best size, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise quite straightforward to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my companion vouch way too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
>> Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
Something that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t take up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I assume that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a inconvenience, the actual preparing and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside room, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.