Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy and also fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but very flexible since they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly got ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, ideas, and also methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to use gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night extra exciting!
Also, this is a well-crafted, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and having it filled up could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp container, and afterwards when we found one we needed to discover a place to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great place which provides you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great range between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. With that said, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm perfect as well as keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy and I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well large unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one pound round of dough in 2, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really prevailed because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the center. This will offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook all the method via.
- Do not include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it leading and basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful yet skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to remain to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we need to acquire it or just try to discover something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Allow me save you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute best dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth. It was additionally rather easy to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my partner promise way too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
>> Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt settles on it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the propane and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I assume that preparing and making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s likewise extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little storage space to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.