Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a quick and also very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill yet very versatile considering that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, thoughts, and techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually spark some delight for you and make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank. I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and then as soon as we found one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the cool place which offers you a lot more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced and also cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temp may be much easier. With that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous regarding the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one pound round of dough in two, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the center. This will provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook all the way with.
- Don’t add too several toppings to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely shed immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic yet unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must buy it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s very practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
Something that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust chooses it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and it doesn’t use up way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will assist it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas and also let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. Because I believe that cooking and making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.