Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They supply a simple and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however incredibly versatile since they can reach such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my techniques, thoughts, and also pointers – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also desired a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly trigger some delight for you and also make pizza evening more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, top quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas tank as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time locating a gas tank, and after that once we found one we needed to discover a place to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of places before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and also let it heat up for 20 mins once you attach the propane tank. After that lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins. My companion and I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the amazing area which gives you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the heat to low as well as cooking it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be easier. With that said claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit worried concerning the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right and also keep it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not add as well several toppings to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to explain how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s affordable and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we must get it or just attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels also. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dirt picks it, however aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may look like a great deal of job to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the lp as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also very light-weight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a little storage area to maintain it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.