Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and also quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however super flexible because they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my tricks, ideas, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and also opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your demands and budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza night a lot more exciting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Finding that propane container as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and then once we discovered one we had to find a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of places prior to I might even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! It was absolutely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you link the lp container, you just turn it as much as high and let it warm up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use and also exactly how fun it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The nice component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the great spot which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature could be less complicated. Keeping that claimed, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit worried about the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm just right as well as keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I might NOT have been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is very easy and I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets huge sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very slim in the center. This will offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it won’t prepare right through.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely shed immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic however doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we should acquire it or simply try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. But let me save you a long time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite simple to assemble – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion promise excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt picks it, however apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t use up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply attach the lp as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I think that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot more work. Generally, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.