Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick and also easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill but incredibly versatile since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my tricks, pointers, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may really stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, however here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas tank, and then when we found one we needed to find a area to get it filled up. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, and also the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places before I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was definitely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you attach the gas container, you simply transform it approximately high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins. Then lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how simple the Ooni is to make use of and how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great area which gives you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that claimed, our preferred cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect as well as maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult cooking process. I can NOT have been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one pound round of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin in the center. This will offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not cook all the way via.
- Don’t include too numerous garnishes to your pizza. An additional method to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hesitant however enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the inside as well as super crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or just search for something else similar online. But let me save you some time and energy. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty straightforward to put together – or at least I really did not hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One point that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust picks it, but besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered area to keep it however.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just attach the gas as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I assume that preparing as well as making food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.