Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a quick and very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however super versatile because they can get to such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, and tricks – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as also wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we located one we needed to locate a place to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of places before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. When you attach the gas tank, you just turn it as much as high and let it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner and also I were both happily stunned at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the great area which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be easier. With that said said, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious about the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm just right and also maintain it relocating. However, I was pleasantly amazed to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one extra pound round of dough in two, and then roll out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I actually lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really thin in the center. This will offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook all the means with.
- Do not add too lots of garnishes to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was hopeful however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s economical and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the best bargain.
One thing that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt decides on it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not use up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rain will aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered area to save it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I assume that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more work. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s additionally very light-weight as well as mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.