Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They provide a simple and also fast method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however very functional given that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, ideas, as well as methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas as well as likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza evening much more interesting!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane storage tank and having it loaded may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, yet here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, and then when we discovered one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of areas before I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 minutes as soon as you link the propane container. After that reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at just how easy the Ooni is to use and also how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great range between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it begins to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that said, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried regarding the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the heat ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends using your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin in the middle. This will give you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick between it will not prepare all the way with.
- Do not add way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include in a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, as well as the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it straightforward as well as top lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was doubtful but confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we need to purchase it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was also pretty easy to put together – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion promise way too much while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s really not. You just link the gas and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Because I think that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the real cooking and prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleaning process entailed. Overall, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather very easy. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.