Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite popular and it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a very easy as well as quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but extremely functional given that they can reach such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally got ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my thoughts, tricks, and suggestions – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as also desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a well-made, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container. Finding that lp storage tank and having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and after that when we located one we had to locate a location to get it filled. Thankfully, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of locations before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was absolutely much easier than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins once you link the gas container. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both pleasantly surprised at just how simple the Ooni is to use and also how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing place which offers you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to cooking as well as low it awhile longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. Keeping that said, our preferred cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit nervous concerning the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the heat perfect and also maintain it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to master it!
I think we get a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as topping. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult cooking process. I could NOT have actually been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly prevailed because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will give you that trademark timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick between it will not cook right with.
- Don’t include also many toppings to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to define how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be surprised at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s low-cost as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Yet let me save you some time as well as power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the absolute ideal size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise pretty basic to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vow way too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One thing that truly enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the exterior once in a while as dust decides on it, however besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I think that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really easy, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.