Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and simple means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but incredibly flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, tricks, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and also viewpoints are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as requirements you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might truly trigger some joy for you and also make pizza evening extra exciting!
Also, this is a durable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a lp storage tank, and also then when we discovered one we had to discover a area to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may think! Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the amazing spot which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. With that said said, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the warmth perfect and also maintain it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after just a pair pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. But truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is super very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very slim in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the method through.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. Keep it leading and simple gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we should get it or just try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s super useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One thing that truly lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt chooses it, yet aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the gas and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I believe that cooking and making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s additionally really light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.