Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a easy and fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but very flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and cook all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also ultimately obtained ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, thoughts, and tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and likewise desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually spark some joy for you and make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container. I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane storage tank, as well as after that as soon as we discovered one we had to find a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! It was absolutely less complicated than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you connect the lp container, you simply transform it approximately high and also allow it warm up for 20 mins. Then reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly stunned at how simple the Ooni is to use and also just how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of space to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the heat to cooking and low it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature may be easier. With that claimed, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the heat perfect and also maintain it relocating. However, I was happily amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He suggests using your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely thin in the middle. This will provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare all the way via.
- Don’t include as well many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident yet skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s economical and also chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or simply look for something else comparable online. Yet let me conserve you time and also power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright excellent size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s worth. It was also rather simple to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my partner promise too much while he was placing it with each other and I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming as well as quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
>> Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no requirement to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside once in a while as dust decides on it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the actual prepping and cooking to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been sure what the cleansing process involved. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly easy, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty easy. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.